INTERNATIONAL CALL OF KLIMAFORUM10, CANCUN
We call upon all social movements, autonomous organizations of indigenous people, nomads, peasants and fishermen, workers, women, youth, teachers, students, neighbors, social activists, environmental, ecological and animal rights activists, professionals, pensioners, thinkers, scientists, and citizens in general to participate in the Klimaforum10, to be held in Cancun – Puerto Morelos, Mexico, between the 26th of November and the 11th of December 2010, in parallel to the COP16 hosted by the United Nations.
This year we have witnessed new manifestations of extreme weather conditions, which are clear consequences of the climatic disaster. The floods in Pakistan have killed thousands and have displaced at least 20 million people. In China 3,400 people were killed in only one day and more than 12 million have lost their homes. 17 countries have registered record breaking temperatures. Russia suffered a severe heat wave and fires and recorded its maximum temperature ever. On the 5th of August, a NASA satellite detected a massive section break off the glacier Petermann, off the north coast of Greenland. Mexico has suffered several catastrophic floods throughout 10 states, as well as the severe consequences of hurricane Alex in Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon and Coahuila. All these symptoms confirm the signs of the growing tendency of extreme weather anomalies.
THE KLIMAFORUM10 INITIATIVE
Invited by the Danish board, host of the Klimaforum09 (Copenhagen 2009) to continue their successful initiative and convinced by the severity of the climate crisis and the lack of concrete results emerging from governmental summit, Mexican grassroots movements decided to host an autonomous environmental summit, free from corporate or governmental intervention in parallel to the United Nations COP16 summit.
Klimaforum10 opens a space for all the people, where they can gather, debate on constructive solutions, propose and find consensus towards coordinated international action in the face of the climate crisis. Where governments fail, the people shall prevail.
- Strengthen the global movement towards climate justice.
- Evaluate and influence the decisions made at the COP16.
- Facilitate a space for unification, understanding and agreement among grassroots movements and autonomous organizations that are challenged by climate change.
- Provide support and visibility to constructive proposals.
- Offer a space where solidarity, reciprocity and cooperation can be intensified.
- Reduce costs and the environmental impact of spaces, services, and accommodation of its participants.
- Inspire new ways to create summits reducing environmental impacts.
THE KLIMAFORUM10 ORGANIZATION
Participants can host discussions, workshops, round tables, seminars, forums, assemblies, international conferences, meetings and cultural acts in the Klimaforum10, by submitting these acts on our website, or by emailing the KF10 secretariat which will facilitate the scheduling of activities together with the Organization Committee.
The committee proposes the following thematic guidelines:
- NUCLEAR ENERGY-FREE WORLDPacifism; Demitiralization; Deglobalization; Global democracy.
- ABANDON OUR DEPENDANCE ON FOSSIL FUELSPeak Oil; Radical reduction of energy consumption; Renewable energy.
- SACRALIZE WATER
- The spiritual, ecological and social dimension of water; Desertification; Privatization of water.
- SAVE ANIMALS AND PLANTsRadically reduce animal product consumption; Trade of endangered species; Rejection of genetically modified organisms.
- PROTECT FORESTS AND JUNGLESAre trade mechanisms a real solution? REDD, REDD+; Preservation of forests, reefs and mangroves.
- RESTRUCTURE AGRICULTURE, FISHERIES AND LIVESTOCKLa Vía Campesina; Elimination of large fish and livestock industries; Relocation towards local production and consumption; Rejection of patenting seeds and forms of life.
- REDUCE TRANSPORT AND URBANIZATIONDiscourage car use and transport in general; Depave; Diversity in soil use; Neighborhood and cooperative autonomy.
- MINIMIZE WASTERadical reduction of packaging; Eliminate disposables; Relocate waste management.
- ECONOMIC DEGROWTHEcology over economy; Elimination of national indexes of economic growth and the GDP; Reject Free Trade agreements; Reject consumer society and slave work.
- CLIMATE JUSTICERecognition of the historical climatic debt; End the plundering of the Global South; Climatic Tribunal; Mother Earth Rights.
- ACCELERATING THE TRANSITIONStrengthen networks of ecological communities; Encourage food sovereignty; Halt extraction of fossil fuels and metals; Local autonomy; Equalize wealth and work; Promote cooperatives to support the most vulnerable.
- ANCIENT CULTURES REVIVALPreserve traditions, languages, handcrafts and cultural wisdom; Encourage local solutions for local problems.
- FALSE SOLUTIONSMarket mechanisms: carbon trading, Clean Development Mechanism (CDM); Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD, REDD+, REDD++); Remove World Bank from administrating environmental funds.
These are a few of the theme proposals; participants can submit additional guiding thematics. Activity requests will be confirmed by email, and program updates will be posted on our website.
HOW IS THE KLIMAFORUM10 DIFFERENT?
Space for the activities
- Environmental-friendly tents will be provided which can host approximately 50 people, with the object to promote increased participation and create a wider range of proposals.
- There will be additional bigger spaces for conferences and plenary speeches/lectures.
- Organizations and institutions, that wish to do so, can reserve spaces for expositions, promotion or other uses in the main field.
An atmosphere in harmony with nature, a safe and beautiful space, away from the urban and consumer lifestyle, located on the cenotes road to Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, at just 15 minutes from the COP-16 and 30 minutes from Cancún.
Located just steps away from the center of activities, you will find the Global EcoVillage, which includes:
- Camping space for the accommodation of approx. 2,500 people
- Health services with dry toilets and low-impact showers
- Vegetarian and vegan meals
- Free entrance to all activities of Klimaforum10.
- For more information and to secure your space, visit our webpage:
Reducing the ecological footprint of the event
This is only a fraction of what can be done, which is why we ask for everyone’s support to make this event achieve its objectives.
THE KLIMAFORUM10 COMMITTEE
Klimaforum10 has confronted some severe obstacles from the moment it formed his Promotion Committee on the 2nd of February 2010, with the representation of small grassroots organizations in Mexico. It represents an authentic political expression, a defiant voice that seeks to protect the rights of nature and its sentient beings. In September the Klimaforum Mexico A.C. was legally registered with the objective of administrating funds and managing the requirements of the summit. At the same time, the Klimaforum10 Organization Committee was created.
WE NEED YOUR COLLABORATION TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
Klimaforum10 aims to organize a forum with complete political autonomy and driven by small grassroots organizations. For this reason, it is not financed by governments, big companies or corporate NGOs who generally try to impose their hidden agenda. We hope that you, fellow activists, all understand the great economical limitations we face and that you are willing to help us cover the costs of the Klimaforum10 People´s Climate Summit by contributing with an entrance fee of 5 US dollars a day for your visit. In case of any proceeds, these will be transferred to ecological projects, which will be selected by the participants in an open democratic assembly on the 11th of December. The guidelines for this assembly will be debated in the forums during the summit.
The stabilization the climate is essential to the survival of all species on earth, it’s a matter of intergenerational justice. People of all ages and creeds unite in the demand for effective solutions that will preserve life on the planet.
We, the people have the capacity and the necessity to solve these issues with understanding, solidarity and perseverance. We have the possibility to create another world!
For more information on Klimaforum10, updates, volunteering, costs, visas and so on, please check out our website:
THE KLIMAFORUM10 ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Adriana Matalonga, Eugenio Cabrera, Gabriela de la Vega, Jorge López, Kareen Kohn, Lucrecia Noemi Mazadiego, Miguel Angel Rosas, Miguel Valencia, Pedro Pliego y Raquel Rodríguez
General information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretariat: tel: +52 55 53953801 (9a.m. – 3p.m. México D.F. GMT-6h)
International: Valérie Parent
Ibero-America: Ricardo Guzman
Other tel: +52 (55) 5395- 7336, 5212-1886, 5540-7866 , 5553-2340